How to Improve Bow Holding?
Music Moment Episode 1
Welcome to the very first episode of Music Moment, a brand new web series and YouTube show by Music Mood in collaboration with Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music. These series aims to help music lovers and students to enhance their playing skills. In this very first episode, Dior is going to share some useful guidelines which might come in handy for you to improve your bow holding. Furthermore, Dior explains some of the crucial mistakes which students make and some exercises that is useful to improve the technique.
Before we begin, a lot of students, especially beginners, dive into playing pieces they love immediately without firm fundamentals in holding the bow.
Not having a good bow hold will slow down your learning progress.
Firstly, everybody’s hand sizes and structures are different, therefore, there is no one universal way of holding the bow. There are a few popular bow holds such as:
However, a relaxed bow hold should ultimately be the most important. Remember, there are no strict rules on holding the bow, but there are some useful guidelines that will facilitate your playing.
1. Relax your right hand with a straight wrist.
2. Bend the thumb and the fingers to form a nice round hand.
3. The tip of the thumb is placed in the gap between the grip and the frog.
4. Make sure the pinky finger is resting at the bow curved and the second finger and the thumb are facing each other.
5. Turn your hand to 45 degrees.
6. Index finger should be the one adding power and dynamics to the overall playing.
Crucial mistakes made by students which will lead to much tension in the right hand:
1. Index finger should not reach up too far, as this would make you play uncomfortably.
2. Sweaty palms is a common challenge students face and the bad news is, there is no proven methods that will cure this permanently. However, some useful tips that can help sweaty palms students are through washing your hands thoroughly. If it is a really serious problem, you should visit a doctor.
Exercises that would strengthen your fingers and bow holding
Firstly, place the thumb underneath the frog rather than resting on the frog, this will help you open out the hand and gives you more flexibility. A common fault is to move the violin to the left when approaching the heel of the bow. Instead, always try to move the bow and the violin should be still.
This next exercise will give you more flexibility and builds the strength of your pinky finger. Take your bow vertically and basically, you are going to go up and down with the bow where your thumb is the fulcrum. Your arm should remain still, the motion is from the fingers.
Follow the above guidelines, avoid the common mistakes and remember to do some exercise that is taught before playing the Violin and it would greatly enhance your basic skills.
If you want to know more about kids violin lesson, feel free to contact us.
- 0.1 Other Stories
- 0.2 Effective Ways to Improve Your Cello & Violin Practices
- 0.3 Complete Guide on Violin and Cello Maintenance
- 0.4 Discovering the joy and benefits of violin lessons for children
- 0.5 All The Things You Need to Know Before Buying a Violin in Singapore
- 0.6 Upcoming Musical Events @ Esplanade In March 2018
- 0.7 Which instruments? Violin, Piano or Cello for my child.
- 1 0 Comments
Violin & Cello practice tips you would loveEasy & Effective cello and violin practice tips. We all would agree that practice is important in our cello and violin learning journey. You might be just a practice away from a new breakthrough or setting new milestone...
Violin & Cello Maintenance tips you need to knowHow to properly take care of your violin & cello. You have just bought a violin or cello. Now is time to learn important steps on how to take care of your strings instruments to ensure that they are properly...
Almost every child loves music. In Singapore, parents love sending their children for music classes, sports lessons and curriculum activities. Many parents come to our violin teachers asking about the best route for their children to mastering the violin — steps to...
Vivamus ipsum velit, ullamcorper quis nibh non, molestie tempus sapien. Mauris ultrices, felis ut eleifend auctor, leo felis vehicula quam, ut accumsan augue nunc at nisl. Cras venenatis ac lorema ac tincidunt. Mauris ultrices, felis ut eleifend auctor, leo felis...
Upcoming Free Musical Events @ The Esplanade In March 2018 1. Silent Film with Nen Ensemble 2 March 2018 - 7.15pm, 8.15pm, 9.15pm (30 minutes) Esplanade Concourse FREE ENTRY Nen Ensemble presents their live alternative interpretation of the score of the classic...
Which instruments? Violin, Piano or Cello for my child. Learning a musical instrument is beneficial to anyone no matter who you are or what you do. Music provides benefits such that it is a good source of stress relieve and daily pressures faced. People that are avid...